Join us for study during the six weeks of Lent as a small group or as a whole congregation as we learn more about each other, our God, and ourselves in a six-session course taught by Bishop Scanlan.
This class is designed for individuals and/or parish-based groups. Parish based groups who use the course as a Lenten Study can opt to gather in real-time for discussion in their congregation on a weekly basis as well as participate in the on-line discussion groups.
To register: Click HERE
*NOTE: The cost is per congregation, please check to see if your congregation has already registered.
Dates: March 5 – April 9, 2017
Cost: $35 per congregation
Instructor: The Right Rev. Audrey Scanlan, Bishop of the Diocese of Central PA
Each of us has a story – as unique and as interesting as our fingerprints. Discuss with others in this small-group interactive course where our stories intersect and connect with God’s story of love and salvation.
|Read with a small group in your congregation important texts on discipleship and storytelling.|
|Write your story by practicing storytelling techniques with a coach who will assist in self-reflection and story preparation.|
|Tell your story to partners, small groups, and other participants and engage the stories of others.|
For samples of storytelling - check out Bishop Scanlan’s weekly blog at http://compasspointsmappingtheway.blogspot.com
Course work will include:
- A weekly warm-up writing prompt inviting personal narrative (also good for parish group sharing) with the option for individual essays to be included in a diocesan literary magazine/blog to be published in late spring 2017
- Videotaped lectures with accompanying power-point slides
- Assigned reading (including some you-tube videos for viewing)
- An on-line discussion thread (for participating parish groups these discussion topics could be used as material for a mid-week, face-to-face Lenten discussion program)
- Writing assignments based on the lectures and readings (optional for parish group participants, mandatory for those taking the class for Stevenson School academic credit)
- MARCH 5 WEEK ONE: STORY
- MARCH 12 WEEK TWO: THE BIBLE AS LITERATURE AND STORY
- MARCH 19 WEEK THREE: THE CHRISTIAN META-NARRATIVE
- MARCH 26 WEEK FOUR: UNDERSTANDING DISCIPLESHIP
- APRIL 2 WEEK FIVE: THE MISSIONAL IMPERATIVE
- APRIL 9 WEEK SIX: OUTLINING OUR NEXT CHAPTERS
For More Information: